Family Advice on Death and Life, Part 1 - From Nghtengail

Archived duty logs from Daystrom crew, both past and present.

Moderator: Daystrom Admin

Family Advice on Death and Life, Part 1 - From Nghtengail

Postby Daystrom Admin » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:55 pm

Subject: Family Advice on Death and Life, Part 1
Date: 1/20/2000 10:31 PM US Mountain Standard Time

Family Advice on Death and Life

A Dailey Enterprise

With a soft sigh and a heavy heart, Gail stood at the observation window to the morgue arena and numbly watched the proceedings within. The job ahead of the medical staff was not an envious one, and was one Gail would've done once if she'd not been transferred counseling. However, although totally unnecessary, Gail found herself rooted in place until she was satisfied that things were under hand. Now, as the medical officers finished their tasks of
caring for the dead, she could feel her job was just beginning.
With an expression that could have been interpreted as either cold determination or muted shock, Gail turned and left the bay. With the carefully measured strides of her 'Fleet training, Gail walked, not home, but to the ship's lounge. "I need a drink," she muttered to herself before ordering her usual beverage. Jor-El's 'no chocolate' orders be damned, she needed some comfort food. Seconds later, Gail picked her way to an open viewport table with a
tray of hot chocolate and a large hot fudge sundae.
Curling her legs under her body, she pondered duty, life and death over the velvety sweet taste of a quickly melting ice cream sundae.

Two hours later, and Gail could not figure out how to tackle the situation to come with the crew. Frustrated, more with herself than anything, she meandered back home. Once she returned, Gail sat down at her desk console and drummed her fingers on the top restlessly as she tried to think.
She needed to talk to someone, hash out what was bugging her. But who the heck was she going to call. TNeya was an obvious choice, but was also on duty, and Gail didn't feel like bothering her. Jor-El was too close to the situation and dealing with his own problems, feeling the crew's strong emotions. At least two others who she might have talked with were the cause of her dilemma and embroiled in their grief. And the last one was on the bridge
giving grief to that darn spider-killing science officer. Who did that leave? That left...that left......
"Computer, open a subspace communication with the USS ScreamingEagle." Gail snapped, then softened her tone. When the ScreamingEagle's OPS officer appeared, rather annoyed by the intrusion, Gail shot him a look and barked further instructions. About a minute later, a young woman's sleepily face filled the view screen sharing the same annoyed look as the OPS officer.
"What do you want?"
"Well 'hello' to you too, Doc."
Genna Dailey blinked sleepily at her twin sister, "Hey, you want hospitality, don't wake me up after only...." she glanced at her chrono. "...2.6 hours."
"I'm sorry," Gail chuckled, her voice sounding strained. "I needed to talk." She drew her knees to her chest as she sat back in her chair.
Genna bit back a sarcastic reply and studied her sister's weary face. "What's wrong?"
Gail inhaled softly, "We just had a couple of our crew members killed recently. Guess we're all taking it rather hard....I'm taking it rather hard."
"I'm so sorry..." Genna started to respond until Gail waved her off. "Why did you call me?"
"Guess I needed someone objective to talk to?"
"Why aren't you talking with Red about...?" Genna started to ask until Gail shot her a 'don't go there' look. "Oh, okay. What about the ship's counselor?"
"I *am* the ship's counselor."
"Oh yeah," Genna chuckled softly.
"I don't know. I guess I wanted to talk to someone with a friendly face. Or make sure *you* were still alive, you sneak." Gail's voice held a bit of an edge, then softened again, "Truthfully, I guess I just need to vent."
"Welp, I've got two ears. Or atleast one good one. Vent away." Genna's soft smile was both comforting and inviting.
Gail inhaled slowly then talked quietly, "I have two friends, one who's relationship was just beginning. The other who's relationship was....close." Imzadi, Gail repeated to herself, the word immediately bringing Jor's image into her mind's eye. "Both of them lost their respective loved ones. And now their grieving and I want to help but..." she sighed. "...I feel in the way...lost."
"Lost?"
Gail's nose crinkled a bit as she made a face, "Yeah, sorta. I know clinically what to do and I think I know what to do as a friend. But how do I mesh the two without sounding sappy, cold, distant or like the overly emotional pregnant woman a certain someone claims I'm becoming."
Okay, that explains the 'don't go there' face. "The best you can, Gaily," Genna shrugged nonchalantly.
"Thanks, Doc." Gail answered sarcastically.
"Well, what do you want me to say? That you're not going to stumble over your words and feel like an idiot? The situation is uncomfortable enough as it is."
Emitting an exasperated sigh, Gail slumped. "Don't I know it."
"Be a friend and keep that clinical junk out of it unless ya see trouble brewing...then use it to head it off at the pass."
"I already knew that." Already done it too. Gail sighed heavily. "But it's nice to hear someone agree with me." Gail smiled weakly back.
Genna smiled then sighed softly, "You're not doing the 'What if it was Jor?' scenario in your head, are you? Or fought with him, did you?"
"Heavens no!" Gail smiled. "Just annoyed about this chocolate ban he's got going. Besides, I've learned, from *you* might I add, that if something ever happens to someone I love I'll deal with it then. No use worrying about future probabilities when I've still got to live out the rest of today. And always make sure you speak your peace...never keep 'em guessing."
"Counselor, eh?"
"Hmmmhmmm."
"Ya always did like to be in other people's business," Genna smirked as she glanced at her chrono. "Can I go to bed now?"
"What? Got a hot date tomorrow?" Gail teased.
"Wouldn't you like to know, Ms. Busybody." Genna smirked. "NightyNite, Gaily."
"Nighters Doc." Gail chuckled then sat back in her chair to ponder the dilemma in the silence of the Ranau's quarters.

Gaily

NightenNau Productions

Dr. Helen Gail Dailey Ranau, LtCdr.

Dr. Morgan Genna Dailey, Ltjg

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never done before..." Mae West
Daystrom Admin
Do or Do Not...

Family Advice on Death and Life, Part 2 - From Nghtengail

Postby Daystrom Admin » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:56 pm

Subject: Family Advice on Death and Life, Part 2
Date: 1/21/2000 5:48 PM US Mountain Standard Time

Family Advice on Death and Life, Part 2

A Dailey Enterprise

It wasn't long before Gail got another commlink call. Sighing, she activated the connection just in time to see her father wince. "What's wrong, Dad?" Gail sat up almost instantaneously.
"I thought you were going to tell your mother about the..." he leaned closer to the screen. "...B.A.B.Y."
Gail nodded, "I was, but I didn't get a chance the last time we talked."
James Dailey cringed as a loud angry woman's howl sounded through the hotel room. "I think your sister just spilled the beans."
"Ewouch." Gail cringed. "Now?"
"A baby! I can't believe she didn't tell me she's having a BABY!" Her mother howled, unseen and apparently at her twin sister's image in the other room.
"Uh yeah...Your mother called Genna out of the blue, woke her up...and..." James cringed as Gail's mother whined loudly again, then eyed his daughter. "Don't you put me in the position where I'm going to have to play possum, Helen Gail. I'm not going to..."
"Shhhhhhhh!" Gail waved at her father to be quiet. "Just go tell her I'm online." She watched as her father ambled in to the other room. Wincing when she saw her mother come into view, Gail prepared to face the music.
Like a bat out of h-e-double-hockey-sticks, Alicia Dailey came storming towards the viewer, leaving Gail's father to deal with the bleary eyed Genna. "Helen Gail..."
"Hey Mom. I'm pregnant." Gail answered weakly.
"So your sister told me. And why am *I* the last to know?" Alicia gave her husband an evil look as he tried to reenter the room, resulting in his swift retreat.
Gail exhaled wearily, "Because I wanted to surprise you. And we wanted to wait until we were sure everything was going well. And I forgot, with how hectic it's been here in the past few days. And...and...and..." Gail inhaled slowly, purposely making herself look pitifully, hoping the sympathy ploy would work in a situation she didn't want to deal with.
"My baby's having a baby and she forgot tell me that?" Alicia scowled. "Well, now isn't that special. I guess it's not all that important, is it? My first grandchild, hmmm?"
"Mom!" Gail answered back testily. "Two of our crewmates have been killed. I have as ship full of grieving people to worry about and I'm in over my head. Telling my mother that I was going to have a baby wasn't the highest on my list of things to do today. Especially since I'll be like this for atleast six more months."
"Six more months? You mean you'd wait to tell me for..."
"Okay, I don't have the time or the patience to deal with this right now. Why don't you go rant and rave, and when you're done, call me back. Goodnight." Gail cut the link so abruptly, Alicia could only emit a gasp of shock before fading from view. She barely had time to lean back in her chair when the computer chirped again. "What?!?" she snapped as she turned it on.
"I'm sorry."
Gail blinked at her mother. The gentle restraining hand of her father was on Alicia's shoulder as she spoke.
"Gail?"
"Hmmm? Oh, sorry," Gail murmured, pinching the bridge of her nose.
"That bad?"
"Feels worse than it looks."
Alicia's face gentled into a soft smile. "Hang in there, Gaily. Time mends all wounds."
"I thought it was 'healed' not 'mended'."
"You never completely heal after something like that, Gaily. But you do mend." Alicia sighed softly, "Life is like a quilt with time as the stitching that holds one's memories, knowledge and experiences together. Sometimes it gets rough and it rips...time will mend it back together again, but it will never be the same life again. But even the worst tears can't make life ugly...unless you let it."
"Is this the same advice you gave to Genna when she came home from the camps?"
Alicia shrugged, "Hey, whatever floats your boat."
Gail chuckled softly.
"Feel better?"
"A bit." Gail leaned towards the viewscreen. "I'd feel even better if someone didn't have me on chocolate restriction."
"Oh really now?"
"Uh huh," Gail rolled her eyes and smirked.
"Well, we'll just see about that, won't we," Alicia flashed the evilest of grins, demonstrating where Gail had inherited that trait from.
"Ruh roh."
"I've got to go, baby." Alicia's grin widened. "My baby's having a BABY!" She squealed as she cut the connection. Gail just sat back in her chair. She had to hand it to her mother, she certainly could help get her mind off of her troubles sometimes. Now, she not only had to worry about helping the greiving crew, but she also had to worry about exactly how Alicia Dailey planned to help Gail achieve her chocolate fix.

Gaily

NightenNau Productions

Dr. Helen Gail Dailey Ranau, LtCdr.

Dr. Morgan Genna Dailey, Ltjg

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never done before..." Mae West
Daystrom Admin
Do or Do Not...

Return to Daystrom Archives