Hornet: June 2006

Archived info / posts about the FKA Newsletter

Moderators: Capt Kevin Acura, Laehval tTemarr

Hornet: June 2006

Postby Red » Mon May 08, 2006 9:43 pm

Okay, guys, here's the deal: RL has been a pain in the @$$, so I'm about a week behind where I'd like to be. The goal at this point is to publish in about a month -- somewhere between 1 and 14 June. Yes, that seems like quite a bit of time, but I'm kinda starting from scratch here, setting up formats, content, etc.

Since we're going to be getting underway soon, consider this your call for contributions: What do you want to see, in addition to the latest news about our illustrious organization? Comics? (Okay, yah, we got that...) Serials? Advice columns? Book reviews?

For now, I am currently looking to the captains of each ship to provide an update on what you and your crew have been up to in the intervening months. It doesn't have to be all "Pigs....in... Spaaaaace" epic, but some creativity would be cool.

As for the rest, I'll be tapping my dear friends to assist -- and you know who you are. Be prepared!

-- Red
Editor-at-Large
MCAPT Katja Romany
USS Daystrom
=/\=
LCDR Charlotte Matsumura
Starfleet Intelligence
USS Phoenix

Red

Postby Capt Kevin Acura » Tue May 09, 2006 12:39 am

I have some information I'll be sending you. It's up to you to use that as you see fit. You know I'll write a column or anything else you need. Just let me know and I'll help where you need me if I can.
Captain Kevin T. Acura
Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Daystrom
FKA Commander

"Do or Do not. There Is No Try." - Yoda/U.S.S. Daystrom motto

Capt Kevin Acura
Acura Protocols?

Postby Adml Mansur » Tue May 09, 2006 3:55 am

Golden Eagle's saga is coming to an end. I can spend some time reminiscing on the 6 1/2 year long journey and what lies ahead for the future if you like.

Monthly interviews would be a wonderful feature. The old Hornet had that. Also a Log of the Week would be chosen. In another Sim group I was in there was a Log of the Month competition held on each Sim and each LotM would be submitted for consideration (votes by each Sim's CO and XO) for an overall, Sim group-wide award. This would provide excellent incentives to get people to write more frequent logs as well as to concentrate on quality over quantity.

These are just a few of the things that can be done. I'll get back with more later on.
Fleet Adml. Isa M. Mansur
Commanding Officer, SF RES Golden Eagle ARRV 580320

"If the sword shatters, take its fragments to the forge." ~~ Ancient Romulan Proverb
Adml Mansur

Postby Adml Mansur » Wed May 10, 2006 2:13 am

Adml Mansur wrote:Golden Eagle's saga is coming to an end. I can spend some time reminiscing on the 6 1/2 year long journey and what lies ahead for the future if you like.

Monthly interviews would be a wonderful feature. The old Hornet had that. Also a Log of the Week would be chosen. In another Sim group I was in there was a Log of the Month competition held on each Sim and each LotM would be submitted for consideration (votes by each Sim's CO and XO) for an overall, Sim group-wide award. This would provide excellent incentives to get people to write more frequent logs as well as to concentrate on quality over quantity.

These are just a few of the things that can be done. I'll get back with more later on.

OK let me post a URL to an old issue of the Hornet ("old" as in 2000). The basic structure back then was:

(1) Ten Forward Lounge: Each ship reports on its activity since the last issue.
(2) Sickbay: Current FKA Council News.
(3) Crew Quarters: Winner of the Log of the Week Award (title only), and entries for the next LotW (texts given in toto, all current week's logs)
(4) Shuttlebay 1: Schedules of live Sims and contact info for each Sim
(5) Shuttlebay 2: Staff contacts (FKA Officers, Hornet editors)
(6) Main Engineering: Website address and disclaimer

http://www.fka.org/Hornet/hornet_v5i10.html

And let me add, this particular issue of the Hornet was one in which quite a few of the people at FKA were very prolific in log writing.

Publishing all these logs allows for people to come to know other simmers because some people only join 1 or 2 Sims and that's that. Through these logs they may very well come to get the general "feel" of other Sims and the people who participate in them and may be interested enough to lurk or even join.

"If the sword shatters, take its fragments to the forge." ~~ Ancient Romulan Proverb
Adml Mansur

Postby Molly D Hall » Thu May 11, 2006 3:20 pm

Ouch... colors.

I have a suggestion that might get more people reading it...? Make it readable. The dark background and the bold colors totally just killed my eyes. That blue on black was painful.

As far as content... I'll try to write up a teaser for the restructuring Olympus is going through... also something that begs for members. ^_^; I've got the board up and running almost 100% now, so it's usable. There's a few last tweaks I want to throw on it, but nothing that's going to terrorize my poor database too badly that it'll go poof.
Adm Molly Dee Hall
CO, Olympus IV Colony
Message Board
Yahoo! Groups Mailing List
Molly D Hall
Never get a telekinetic drunk

Postby Capt Kevin Acura » Thu May 11, 2006 4:10 pm

I'm going to be real when I say this and I know it may pick a nerve or two from some people, but the main thing that the Hornet will need to survive, get people interested in reading it and maybe attract new members is something I've been pushing since being elected into office. Basically ... full Community input.

Contributions from the fleet as a whole. Every sim/ship needs to submit something ... be it an article ... an interview ... cartoon ... sci fi tidbit ... movie review ... FKA news of note ... historical recount of times in FKA ... special events. Every sim and ship. This needs to be a group effort. A FULL group effort.

It will make the Hornet Newsletter a much easier and more personal project for the fleet as a whole.

And it's going to take patience. Putting together the Hornet is a monumental task. I know this from experience.

This was the last Hornet ... I changed the color scheme for those reasons you stated Molly. To me it did seem to read a bit easier than the black background. You may have missed it since it was never linked on the homepage. It was however sent to the Senior Council for distribution and linked to from here on the boards ...

http://members.aol.com/CaptKevinAcura/U ... rnetx.html
Captain Kevin T. Acura
Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Daystrom
FKA Commander

"Do or Do not. There Is No Try." - Yoda/U.S.S. Daystrom motto

Capt Kevin Acura
Acura Protocols?

Postby Adml Mansur » Thu May 11, 2006 10:25 pm

Capt Kevin Acura wrote:I'm going to be real when I say this and I know it may pick a nerve or two from some people, but the main thing that the Hornet will need to survive, get people interested in reading it and maybe attract new members is something I've been pushing since being elected into office. Basically ... full Community input.

Contributions from the fleet as a whole. Every sim/ship needs to submit something ... be it an article ... an interview ... cartoon ... sci fi tidbit ... movie review ... FKA news of note ... historical recount of times in FKA ... special events. Every sim and ship. This needs to be a group effort. A FULL group effort.

It will make the Hornet Newsletter a much easier and more personal project for the fleet as a whole.

And it's going to take patience. Putting together the Hornet is a monumental task. I know this from experience.

This was the last Hornet ... I changed the color scheme for those reasons you stated Molly. To me it did seem to read a bit easier than the black background. You may have missed it since it was never linked on the homepage. It was however sent to the Senior Council for distribution and linked to from here on the boards ...

http://members.aol.com/CaptKevinAcura/U ... rnetx.html

I agree with that assessment as well. The Hornet should not simply be a newsletter that those of us on the Staff put together and then "everybody out there" sits back and reads. Participation in the newsletter, as in the Sims, themselves, should be to the max.

In a previous post I mentioned how the old Hornet did things and provided a link to an issue. Now we did have a recurring feature -- can't recall what it was called but, as you can see from the structure of the newsletter a few years back, it was probably called something that would correspond to a part of a Federation Starship (e.g. The Lounge) -- in which various FKA members were interviewed. The EiC would conduct the interview via IM or e-mail and get responses. And every year we'd have an Election Special in which the candidate/s for Commander was/were interviewed so as to give FKA members his/her/their viewpoints on what the FKA meant, what the office of CiC entailed, how he/she would run things and the like.

I think that all CO's and XO's should take into consideration the fact that each Sim is the result of a lot of teamwork and so interviews shouldn't merely be those of CO's, XO's and FKA Officials; not just also of Sim department heads; but of various people who help make their ships run, from the lowliest Counselor, Assistants, Ops and Helm officers and the like as well as the ship's Top Brass. Each month someone should be volunteered by each Sim's Command Staff for an interview and the Hornet Staff can decide who should be up for execut ... err, I mean, the subject of said interview. :twisted: In this manner we can get many people from across the spectrum of the FKA to become more active. And interviews are just *one* aspect. Our CiC has suggested a lot more and he's right.

And another th ... ::looks over at Kev and Red, turns ... well, red ... :oops: :: ... err, that's all folks. ::climbs down off Ye Olde Soapboxe ™::

aka

Turhan Qasim Ye Blue-Penciller
Adml Mansur

Postby Turhan Qasim » Thu May 11, 2006 11:13 pm

Adml Mansur wrote:Fleet Adml. Isa M. Mansur

aka

Turhan Qasim Ye Blue-Penciller

Yea dat be me. Da Proofreadah from Hell. Typo at youse own risk. 8)
Ensign Turhan Qasim
Ship's Counselor, USS Daystrom

I listen to the sounds of the streams on the mountains, the whispers of the wind and all that is nature and life. Surrender to the Great All. -- from the writings of Auris, El-Aurian philosopher
Turhan Qasim

Postby Murray » Fri May 12, 2006 10:35 am

The "Freedom's" delt with killer teddy bears earlier this year, and are in the middle of the "New Vinland" plotline. Kevin's been a very interesting Special-Guest-Character, and has been getting what's been going on in his email if the little bullitens are needed for the Hornet.

As for interviews, should I sent one to one of my crew? I could use a few sample questions.
Murray M. Lee
A Writer's Block
- Science Fiction stories, jokes, and art
USS Freedom
The Misadventures of the wackiest ship in Starfleet
Murray
Captain Clueless

Postby Molly D Hall » Tue May 23, 2006 9:47 am

Posted an announcement both on my new board and on the old mailing list for people interested in doing stuff for the Hornet, but haven't gotten a response back, yet.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can maybe get some sort of blurb up about the whole restructuring by the weekend... *crosses fingers*
Adm Molly Dee Hall
CO, Olympus IV Colony
Message Board
Yahoo! Groups Mailing List
Molly D Hall
Never get a telekinetic drunk

Postby Red » Tue May 23, 2006 9:54 am

For our first issue in a while, I think I'm going with simple -- an update from each ship in the fleet, and a few other things that didn't get "to print" last time. ::pokes Kev, reminding him to forward::

Also, if anyone has any geek movie reviews to toss in, drop me a line. I'll be seeing X3 myself this weekend; there might also be some DVDs or Games of interest, so feel free to review those as well. I know the Trek MMORPG might actually deserve a look.

Anything you guys want to submit should be sent to gwemegil at cox dot net by the end of the week.

Thanks!

Red
MCAPT Katja Romany
USS Daystrom
=/\=
LCDR Charlotte Matsumura
Starfleet Intelligence
USS Phoenix

Red

Postby Capt Kevin Acura » Tue May 23, 2006 9:24 pm

Done! :D

And more incoming!